It’s just a little over two weeks until NaNoWriMo begins. I can’t believe how fast the time is flying.
There are things to do.
Finish the fall cleaning.
Get as much of the menu-planning and grocery shopping for November done before the month begins as is possible.
Reiterate to family and friends again and again and again that all of my weekends between from October 26-December 7 are booked already.
And despite the fact that almost all of the dates, times, and venues we need for the local regional events (oh, btw, Michelle and I are Municipal Liaisons for NaNoWriMo) have been confirmed, and I know what story I’ll be writing, I still feel woefully unprepared.
If you write by the seat of your pants, completely unlike me, then you probably won’t understand my feelings on this matter. And I rather envy you, because you likely don’t have the obscene need to know what’s going on driving you. You just get to live life, and write.
But NaNo starts on November 1st, whether I am prepared or not.
So how do you prepare to be unprepared for NaNo?
Well… I’m still figuring that out. But here’s what I’m going to try to get done before NaNo starts:
Sorting through old story notes, and figuring out which ones pertain to the actual book I’m writing.
- I’m working on my il-Ri Gyti series. This thing has been my baby for a decade, and it’s probably going to be my magnum opus. And it’s going to take YEARS. Obviously. Since I’m only just now starting on book 2 after a decade. I wrote book 1 for NaNo 2011. I still need to revise it >_<.
- But I have a decade’s worth of notes, and world-building, and character development. If I can just get my notes in order (haha, literally and figuratively) then I will be all right for November. I have everything I need to know at the tip of my fingers.
- Yes, you read that right. Stocking up. On everything. I’ve started accruing snacks. Pens. Notebooks. I still need a spare set of ear buds, because my current pair are two years old and if they go out in the middle of a Box of Doom challenge, I am… doomed.
- Do your meal planning ahead of time. Even if you don’t buy the groceries a month in advance *ahem*, knowing WHAT you need to buy will make November so much easier.
- Don’t forget the tea. Bad things will happen if you do.
- Yup, you read that one right, also. November is going to be filled with activity, and as much as I love NaNoWriMo, I am mentally and emotionally drained at the end of it, especially because I’m an introvert. And THEN we get thrown headlong into Christmas.
- Today, even, I’m relaxing. Yeah, I have a list of things to accomplish around the house – things I am determined to accomplish – but I’m giving myself a break from having to keep up with other people’s expectations. That’s why this post is going up in the afternoon rather than early in the morning.
- Besides, if you don’t waste time on the NaNo forums (*ahem* getting a book cover made, going on and on about other things besides NaNo that you love, herding cats in your region…) then you’re missing out on half the fun anyway. And usually, once November strikes, I forget to check in anywhere BUT the regional forum, so I need to have my fun now.
And, well… I got an awesome book cover out of the bargain.
What are YOU doing to prepare for NaNo?
You may also be interested in these two posts on my personal blog:
Also, I had a guest post go up last week at another blog! Go check out my post “In Pursuit of Fantasy“.